Underdiagnosis of early predictors of pulmonary embolism
L.V. Kodzoyeva, A.N. Kuznetsov, A.A. Nekrasov
Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy, Department of Faculty Therapy, Nizhny Novgorod
The study examined the early predictors of underdiagnosis of pulmonary embolism (PE) of the number of primary clinical indicators and their prevalence. We have reviewed 81 cases of fatal pulmonary embolism, confirmed by autopsy, in urgently hospitalized, 52 of them had the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism and 29 – did not have. It is established that the risk of a diagnostic error was raised by male gender, aggravation of ischemic heart disease, pain of any location, frequency ≤23 breaths per minute, the heart rate in the range 75–94 per minute, ESR >11 mm/h, all R-logical shifts. The risk was reduced by female gender, obesity, expressed tachypnea and tachycardia, intraventricular blocks, recent immobilization (p<0.05 for all parameters). Criteria related to underdiagnosis of PE had prevalence of 24.7 to 67.1% in all patients, which confirms the importance of taking them into account in the differential diagnosis.
- Berstein L.L. Pulmonary embolism: principles of diagnosis, therapy and antithrombotic prophylaxis. Effective pharmacotherapy. 2013;43:34–44 (in Russian)
- Savelyev V.S., Chazov Y.I., Gusev Y.I., Kiriyenko A.I. Russian Association of Phlebology. All-Russian Society of Surgeons. National Society for atherothrombosis. Russian clinical recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of venous thromboembolic complications. Мoscow.: Planida, 2012:63 p. (in Russian)
- Torbicki A., Perrier A., Konstantinides S., Agnelli G., Galiè N., Pruszczyk P., Bengel F., Brady A.J., Ferreira D., Janssens U., Klepetko W., Mayer E., Remy-Jardin M., Bassand J.P. Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism: the task force for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism of the european society of cardiology (ESC). Eur. Heart J. 2008;29(18):2276–315.
- Heit J.A. The epidemiology of venous thromboembolism in the community. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2008;28(3):370–2.
- Cohen A.T., Agnelli G., Anderson F.A., Arcelus J.I., Bergqvist D., Brecht J.G., Greer I.A., Heit J.A., Hutchinson J.L., Kakkar A.K., Mottier D., Oger E., Samama M.M., Spannagl M. Venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe. The number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality. Thromb. Haemost. 2007;98(4):756–64.
- Zateyschikov D.А. Post thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Cardiology.2014;11:75–81 (in Russian)
- Karpenko А.А., Klevanec Y.Е., Mironenko S.P., Shilova А.N., Matveeva N.V. The functional state of the myocardium of the right ventricle in patients with acute pulmonary embolism before and after thrombolytic therapy. Cardiology. 2014;5:29–33 (in Russian)
- Kamenskaya О.V., Chernyavskyi А.М., Loginova I.Y., Klinkova А.S., Chernyavskyi М.А., Alyapkina Е.М., Karaskov А.М. Cardiorespiratory disorders and oxygen supply of the brain in patients with chronic pulmonary post thromboembolic hypertension. Cardiology. 2013;6:35–9 (in Russian)
- Klimenko А.А., Shostak N.А., Demidova N.А., Novikov I.V. Chronic pulmonary hypertension postembolic new aspects of the formation and progression. The clinician. 2011; 1: 14–7 (in Russian)
- Chernyavskyi А.М., Mironenko S.P., Alyapkina Е.М., Alsov S.А. Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension post. Pathology of the circulatory and cardiac surgery. 2008;2:70–4 (in Russian)
- Yermolayev A.A., Plavunov N.F., Spiridonova Y.A., Baratashvili V.L., Stazhadze L.L. An analysis of the causes of underdiagnosis of pulmonary embolism in the pre-hospital stage. Cardiology. 2012;6:40–7 (in Russian)
- Mironov A.V., Leont’yev S.G., Ustinov F.S., Yefremova O.I., Lebedev I.S., Kiriyenko A.I. How to make a reasonable assumption of a pulmonary thromboembolism: how to help the diagnostic scale. Therapeutic Archives. 2013;4:11–5 (in Russian)
- Tetenev F.F., Ageyeva T.S., Krivonogov N.G., Dubodelova A.V., Danilenko V.YU., Noll’ Е.S., Minin S.M. Possibilities of overcoming the difficulties of differential diagnosis nonmassive pulmonary embolism in patients emergently hospitalized. Therapeutic Archives. 2007;4:38–41 (in Russian)
- 2014 ESC Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pulmonary Embolism. Konstantinides S., Torbicki A., Agnelli G., Danchin N., Fitzmaurice D., Galiè N., Gibbs J.S., Huisman M., Humbert M., Kucher N., Lang I., Lankeit M., Lekakis J., Maack C., Mayer E., Meneveau N., Perrier A., Pruszczyk P., Rasmussen L.H., Schindler T.H., Svitil P., Vonk Noordegraaf A., Zamorano J.L., Zompatori M; Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pulmonary Embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur. Heart J. 2014;35(43):3033-69, 3069a–3069k.
About the Autors
Kodzoyeva Luiza Visingireyevna, graduate student of Department of Faculty Therapy, Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy. Address: 603005, Nizhny Novgorod, 10/1 Minin and Pozharsky sq. Tel.: +79287966201. E-mail: email@example.com
Kuznetsov Aleksandr Nikolaevich, MD, Professor, Head of Department of Faculty Therapy, Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy. Address: 603005, Nizhny Novgorod, 10/1 Minin and Pozharsky sq. Tel.: +79625122817
Nekrasov Aleksey Anatolevich, MD, Department of Faculty Therapy, Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy. Address: 603005, Nizhny Novgorod, 10/1 Minin and Pozharsky sq. Tel.: +79023047505